JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
February 1, 2022 - July 31, 2022
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Location: Houston, Texas, UNITED STATES
C -- Mathematical and Quantitative Methods
L -- Industrial Organization
M -- Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting; Personnel Economics
Full Text of JOE Listing:
The R&D Data Science group at Air Liquide has an opening for a Research Scientist - Economics. The researcher will have the opportunity to work on challenging problems facing our business in strategy, energy, finance, operations, and marketing. Our group consists of researchers with advanced academic backgrounds in Economics, Finance, Computer Science, Physics, Chemical Engineering and Operations Research. The Researcher is expected to contribute to existing and future projects by providing economic analysis and modeling techniques to work in tandem with computational scientists who are experts in machine learning. The researcher will also interact with multi-disciplinary teams composed of Business, IT and Digital resources that build digital solutions.
As part of Air Liquide’s commitment to decreasing its CO2 emissions in absolute value by 33% by 2035 and to reaching carbon neutrality by 2050, the candidate will need to demonstrate a strong ability to ideate and collaborate with business experts from a wide variety of domains including hydrogen mobility, low carbon hydrogen, renewable energy, and new technologies supporting low-carbon transition.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Collaborate with business units to generate insights for internal customers using a wide variety of statistical methods and models. Use scientific rigor and business sense to collaborate with domain experts and business stakeholders to create the most value for the Air Liquide Group.
• Support the deployment of models in the business units.
• Engage with multiple key business stakeholders to build a pipeline of promising data science projects that solve industrial challenges in the field of renewable energies and climate change solutions.
• Publish research in internal reports, at conferences and peer-reviewed journals.
• Serve as a safety role model and promote a high level of safety awareness.
• PhD in Economics with preferably field specialization in two of the following three areas: Empirical Industrial Organizations, Computational Economics, Applied Microeconomics and Econometrics, but any relevant equivalent quantitative areas of education and or masters degree with significant experience are encouraged.
• Mastery of structural estimations and model development.
• Experience with managing large datasets (cleaning, summarizing, sampling, processing).
• Experience with advanced computational techniques and machine learning.
• Programming skills in Python.
• Demonstrates strong process and operational safety behavior at all times.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills (written and oral) and ability to clearly communicate deeply technical concepts to non-technical audiences.
• Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary and international team.
• Experience with numerical optimization and simulations.
• A strategic understanding of how data science might solve industrial problems in particular in the field of renewable energies and climate change solutions.
• Basic understanding or previous internships in either renewable energy, carbon capture technologies or green/blue mobility.
• Work out of Air Liquide US in Houston 3 days/week
• National or International Travel - 5-10%
- Letters of Reference
- Research Papers