JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2015 - January 31, 2016
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Location: Seattle, Washington, UNITED STATES
JEL Classification: 00 -- Default: Any Field
time series econometrics
Full Text of JOE Listing:
Amazon.com strives to be Earth's most customer-centric company where people can find and discover anything they want to buy online. We hire the world's brightest minds, offering them a fast paced, technologically sophisticated and friendly work environment.
Economists at Amazon have the opportunity to partner with senior economists at Amazon including chief economist Pat Bajari. You will also engage with senior management on key business problems faced in retail, international retail, cloud computing, third party merchants, search, Kindle, streaming video, and operations. Amazon economists will apply the frontier of economic thinking to market design, pricing, forecasting, program evaluation, online advertising and other areas. You will build econometric models, using our world class data systems, and apply economic theory to solve business problems in a fast moving environment. Economists at Amazon will be expected to develop new techniques to process large data sets, address quantitative problems, and contribute to design of automated systems around the company. The economics community at Amazon has grown tremendously in the past few years and we are recruiting for roles company-wide to satisfy demand for high caliber economists.
Salaries are competitive and include equity compensation.
Please send application packets to email@example.com. In your cover letter, indicate your preferred start date. We will consider candidates with start dates as early as October 2015.
We recruit on a rolling basis and Amazon will be at the AEA/ASSA conference in San Francisco but will certainly consider candidates prior to the January 2016 conference.
Visit http://www.amazoneconomistjobs.com/ to learn more!
• PhD in Economics or anticipating completion of a PhD Economics by August 2016
• Two to three years of post-PhD experience in private sector, consulting, government, or in academic research
• Strong background in econometrics (e.g., program evaluation, forecasting, time series, panel data, and/or high dimensional problems), economic theory, and quantitative methods
• Ability to work in a fast-paced business environment
• Strong applied research track record in industrial organization, applied econometrics, labor economics, development economics, public economics, applied macroeconomics, quantitative marketing, or a related field
• Hands on experience with at least one of the following: Matlab, R, SAS, Stata
• Experience with programming languages such as Python, Java, C++, Ruby, and /or Big Data processing platforms such Hadoop, Map Reduce, Spark is a plus.
• Experience operating in a Linux/Unix environment preferred.
• Effective verbal and written communication skills
Amazon is an Equal-Opportunity Employer
- Application Instructions Below
- Letters of Reference Instructions Below
In your cover letter, please also indicate your preferred start date. We will consider candidates with start dates as early as October 2015.