JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2017 - January 31, 2018
Central European University
Position Title/Short Description
Section: International:Full-Time Academic (Permanent, Tenure Track or Tenured)
Location: Budapest, HUNGARY
JEL Classification: 00 -- Default: Any Field
Full Text of JOE Listing:
Starting date: September 2018
Application deadline: Applications are accepted until December 31, 2017. We will start reviewing the applications after December 15, 2017. Late applications can also be considered.
Full Or Part Time: Full-Time
The School of Public Policy at Central European University invites applications for a full-time Assistant Professor in Applied Economics position.
The School of Public Policy at CEU pursues CEU’s overall mission expressed in the commitment to advanced research and teaching, socially and morally responsible intellectual inquiry, and the promotion of real-world applications of established and new interdisciplinary knowledge in the area of public policy. SPP offers three master's degrees in public policy, and a public policy track as part of the PhD programs run jointly with the Departments of International Relations and Political Science.
We are seeking to fill the position of Assistant Professor in Applied Economics.
The newly appointed faculty member will help shape SPP’s progressive research agenda, teaching programs and engagement with practice. We seek an academic committed to contributing to public policy through excellent research, innovative teaching, extensive engagement with policy practice, and cooperation with CEU’s external partners. The initial appointment is for four years, renewable. Appointment at the Assistant Professor level is foreseen, but exceptional candidates may be considered for the Associate Professor level.
The Ideal Candidates Will:
• Hold a PhD in Economics or applied Social Science or will defend their doctoral research by June 2018;
• Demonstrated capacity for research excellence and ability to collaborate with other faculty across disciplines;
• A research agenda that is relevant for policy-making;
• Exhibit a passion for teaching and an openness to employing innovative teaching methods;
• Be able to teach components of the core and elective curriculum to Public Policy and Public Administration Master’s students including courses on Quantitative Methods, Research Design, and Impact Evaluation;
• Contribute to the development of an interdisciplinary and policy-relevant curriculum;
• Have the ambition and talent to influence salient debates in global public policy;
• Be committed to building a world-class institution.
We offer an internationally competitive package that is commensurate with experience as well as a dynamic and international academic environment.
CEU is an equal opportunity employer.
- Application Instructions Below
(1) An application letter (not exceeding 1,200 words) which indicates the name and rank of the position to which you are applying,
(2) An Academic CV,
(3) Job-Market Paper;
(4) A Statement of Teaching Philosophy; and
(5) The contact information of three references who will be contacted for short-listed candidates.
We encourage you to submit up to two additional academic writing samples (one can be co-authored) and up to two sample syllabi. The writing samples and syllabi may be attached as separate PDF files. The application package should highlight why the candidate is a good fit for the position. Informal inquiries may be addressed to Acting Head Martin Kahanec at spp@ .
Please send your complete application package to advert019@
including job code 2018/019 in the subject line.